Thursday, November 11, 2010

THU, 11-11-10 : A SPICY SANDWICH

I am a foodie. A real foodie!

If you didn't know that about me, you probably don't know me very well.

Or ... you can always look at my size & presume I am a foodie ... haha! (of which I am!)

Yep, this will be a food entry. Can't you tell by now ..... : )

Ok, here it is!

The Toasted Otah Sandwich!

I actually read about a place that made (& sold) this in a local magazine (8 Days, I think), so I decided to replicate it at home. We have eaten done something similar but we actually bought the (usual & easier to find) otah in the singly-portioned-barbequed-form (banana leaf wrapped?). But I copied the idea of using otah paste instead. You can purchase otah paste in the frozen section of most major supermarkets in Singapore (although they are not that easy to find, dunno why). I have purchased the otah paste from NTUC, Sheng Shiong and Shop & Save (they have prawn otah paste too!)

The Fish Otah Paste pictured below was purchased in JB (Jusco, I think). Sorry, can't recall what it cost (not expensive, I assure you).

Because there's just the two of us having this for dinner (too spicy for Ryan, who had Chicken Nuggets), I sub-divided the paste into four sections. That makes it easier to spread an equal amount of otah paste on each bread (yes, the OCD tendencies doesn't go far!). You can always use two slices of bread per serving (which is definitely more filling) but we prefer the open-face-otah sandwich (really, the choice is yours).

Toast your sandwiches in the toaster or regular oven. Because our otah was "uncovered", it toasted quite well on the top. We like ours overly "crispy", so it looks a bit over-done (& slightly burnt)!

You must try it!

This was the best otah paste we've had so far. I will definitely buy this brand again. (Writing up this post makes me crave for the sandwich ... haha!)

Malays call it "otak-otak" & since its bought in Malaysia, that's how its spelt. Sorry, I cannot recall how its spelt on the ones bought in Singapore. Anyway, you guys know what I mean right?

 Hubby's share. So crispy! Remember to spread a thick layer of otah paste or it won't be so nice! Ok, so we are greedy ....

Mine. It was spicy & delicious!

Some stuff to note :

If you are using the usual pre-cooked otah (& not the uncooked frozen paste), you can even skip the toasting, if you are feeling lazy  ; )

For a variation, you can spread some butter on the bread before doing up the otah paste & toasting. Haha! yes, more calories but also more tasty!

If you want, you can add your own ingredients like minced prawns to the otah (I do think they need to be pre-cooked though coz toasting the bread takes only a few minutes - don't want to eat raw stuff & get a tummy ache!).


No comments:

Post a Comment